Now that I'm older I feel that living with a few 'rules' or values is worthwhile, but only if they have personal meaning to you. On the other hand living by rules because they're expected of you by others doesn't seem so wonderful.
At first I seemed to be a bit stuck on this topic. I figured that's because I'm such a cutting edge rebel. Always breaking the rules and all that. Yep, it's totally that.
Anyway, I pondered and ruminated some more. As well as being cutting edge, I'm a deep and intellectual thinker. And I still had nothing.
Except this random, ad hoc list of 'Rules To Live By' Ness style:
- My mental health is always more important than what some one may think of me. Seriously. This is my mantra in life at the moment.
- Life's too short to quit sugar. Unless you have to because you might have diabetes. In which case life's too short to NOT quit sugar. Or something...
- You wouldn't worry about what other people thought of you if you knew how seldom they did. Thank you, Dr Phil. Hang on, this sort of cancels out my mantra. Oh well, they're my rules. They don't have to make sense. So ner!
- Accept myself the way I am in all my flawed glory. I'm shy, introverted, Aspie, scatter-brained. A space cadet daydreamer and a bit of drifter rather than a planner or driven. So what? I'm still okay. It takes all kinds of people to make a World. Including space cadets. So space cadets unite! If we remember...
- Ditch 'shoulds'. A lot of the time I have a long list of 'shoulds' roaming around my mind. I should be outgoing. I should have a career. I should be organised. Blah, blah, blah,blah. Therefore, a worthwhile rule is ditching the word should. I know I should, but it's hard. See??!!
- My bra is the first thing to come off at home.
- Random drop-ins. No. Just - NO.
- A house without books is like a restaurant without food.
- I need to move my body every day. Sometimes I rail against this, but that's the way it is. I'm not a naturally sporty person. Far from it. I've had to accept that my body still needs exercise whether I like it or not.
- If you haven't got anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. And people wonder why I'm so quiet...
- There is that meme that floats around Facey about how every one is fighting their own battle that you know nothing about. Just be kind. Or something like that. Sort of sounds cliched, but I reckon it's true, so I always keep it in mind. Treat others the way you like to be treated and all that Seems like an okay rule to live by.
- Avoid toxic people and drama queens. Some people are just genuinely arseholes and drama queens. So I don't surround myself with these kind of toxic people. I suppose it helps if you're inclined to keep to yourself for the most part.
- Push myself out of my little comfort zone World occasionally. I'm working on this, but I do find myself wishing that comfort zones weren't quite so..well, comfortable. Sigh.
- Hug my boys and tell them I love them approximately ten billionty times a day.
- Stop and eat the cake. I mean, uh...stop and smell the flowers. And STOP eating ALL THE CAKE. I dislike this rule. Sniff. WHY can't I eat the cake? Perfect example of rules that are meant to be broken, if you ask me...
- Drink cups and cups of tea. Pots are even better. Plus, tea goes perfectly with cake. And it has antioxidants or something. That balances out the cake, right?
- Keep a journal. It's fascinating and rather amusing for future you to read what past you was thinking and feeling.
- Make sure you keep the afore mentioned journal password protected or under lock and key. It may not be quite so amusing for your loved ones to read if they stumble upon it. Ahem.
- Always wear clean undies in case you get hit by a bus. Actually, this is a rule I've heard a lot, but I'm not sure it's really that important. I mean, if you saw a bus hurtling towards you, I'm sure your undies wouldn't be clean for too long.
- On the other hand wearing clean undies every day (whether or not you get hit by a bus) seems to be a fair enough rule. And, you know, just wearing undies, period. It seems that filthy, stinking rich celebs regularly forget to wear them or can't afford them or something. Weird.
- And finally, always laugh at yourself. If you can't laugh at yourself then give me a call and I'll laugh at you, as the saying goes. Plus, if I didn't laugh, I'd cry. And that's alright. A good old cry is helpful at times, but laughing is always great every day.
There you have it! My comprehensive list of rules to live by. Now it's time for a cup of tea. It's the rules!
What are your rules to live by?